Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I read The Great Gatsby in eight grade (or should I say started to read it) and quit after about one chapter. I've never been great at just reading a book no matter what. If I don't like it, I quit.

But, this year we read Gatsby for school, and so I didn't have the option to quit. And, rather than just skim it like I sometimes do for school books, I decided to try and enjoy the book this time around.

Surprisingly, it worked, and I found myself really enjoying the book. I mean, I just focused on the writing style and all the symbols and imagery, and I just can't help but see the masterpiece aspect of the book that I totally missed the first time. Plus, the characters... I know you aren't supposed to like the characters, but I have to admit that I do.

Gatsby is just such a timeless character with such depth... I don't know; I can't explain why I liked him, but maybe I can just identify with him sometimes.

Anyway, do I recommend this? I give a reserved yes. Read it when you're old enough, not in eight grade, and read it only if you're willing to analyze a little bit as you read. I think you can't just read this for fun, you have to take the time to enjoy the writing and understand the significance behind the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment